Sunday, October 02, 2011

how do I know which one to use?

The first time I was at formal dinner in one of the five star hotels, I just stared at the table because I saw a lot of different kinds of flatware and I got confused on how to use them. I literary asked myself "How do I know which one to use?" Although I have learned them all in college, seeing them set up in front of me for he first have startled me and had me really thinking on how to use them cause I do not want to be embarrassed, especially when I was with my bosses at that time (was working in a food related business, too).

Of course, I only knew of again the usual spoon and fork and the teaspoon for coffee and tea at what we usually use at home. After that experience, I made sure that I have reviewed how I should use those different types of silver flatware.

The director of The R.S.V.P. Institute of Etiquette, Maura Graber gave a simple tip. She said, "You are supposed to use the silverware from the outside -in. Use the silverware furthest from the plate on either side, and then use the utensils closer to the plate , as each course requires."




The array of silverware laid out at a dinner table can be intimidating but learning the proper uses for each utensil doesn't have to be. Some of the characteristics of silverware that we can find in a formal dinner would be as follows:

Dinner Fork - A 4 pronged/tined fork that is usually the largest one at the table setting.







Salad Fork - Usually a three pronged/tined fork which is shorter and broader for salads and desserts









Fish Fork - As the name implies, used for eating fish in a meal and is a small fork that is set to the left side of the plate









Oyster Fork - A 3 pronged/tined small fork for oysters, mussels and clams. It is supposed to be place on the right side after the knives, next to the soup spoon.









Dinner Spoon - The normal tablespoon used in households but is very seldom found on table setting









Soup Spoon - A type of spoon with a round bowl used for soup and is usually the largest, place at the right with the knives







Dessert Spoon - These are used in cereals and desserts and usually brought out with the food and but if not, they are just placed horizontally above the dinner plate






Teaspoon - Usually used for coffees, tea and occasionally desserts










Dinner Knife - Again, one of the largest at a place setting that is usually broad with a wide tip










Fish Knife - Shorter than Dinner knife and with a distinct shape at the tip











Steak Knife - This is sharper than a dinner knife and usually has a jagged edge and the appearance of a small sword









Salad Knife - This is shorter than a dinner knife but also has rounded end




Butter Knife/Spreader - A small broad spatula used as an individual butter server






There is however, one thing that I have learned about using these utensils, do not concentrate so hard on which piece to use that you do not take part in the conversation at the table. The best way to avoid this is to practice beforehand.


As for our special recipe for today, I have actually done this dish last Christmas, eve of December 25 where our family usually have a simple gathering at home. I would like to share a recipe for  Honey Barbecued Spare Ribs which I actually learned from Monterey. The actual picture is different from the one I did because I constantly brushed the spareribs with the mixture while cooking inside the oven and when it was done, I placed mozzarella cheese on top.  It tasted really good and it was a hit that night.

Here are the ingredients:

1 1/2 kilo pork spareribs
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp dried oregano
dash of garlic powder

How to make:

Pre heat the oven for 10 minutes. Cut the spareribs or you may already buy the serving pieces. Place the ribs, bone side down on a wire in a shallow roasting pan and cover with aluminum foil. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take it out of the oven and bake again for 20 minutes, uncovered.

In a bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients and brush some of the glaze on the ribs and roast again for another 15 minutes. Just before service, brush the ribs with the glaze again. Perfect with a glass of beer as "pulutan"

I have provided you the video of how Monterey  did it and the picture of my actual cooking. You would be more enticed on how they did it but I am still proud of my own version..hehe



happy eating!



1 comment:

  1. ill just use the regular fork, no complications whatsoever! =)

    ReplyDelete